Developed by CHOC Children’s Specialists, in partnership with community physicians, these guidelines provide you with useful information in working up your patients, and contribute to making the appointment itself most meaningful by having the right clinical information available.
Listed below are the specialties that currently have guidelines. Updates, as well as additional specialties and diagnoses, are added regularly.
- Allergy & Immunology Referral Guidelines: Allergic Rhinitis, Anaphylaxis
- Cardiology Referral Guidelines: Heart Murmur, Palpitations, Arrhythmia, Abnormal ECG, Chest Pain, Syncope, Hypertension, Attention Deficit Disorder, Kawasaki Disease, Genetic Disorders: Marfan, Turner, Downs, DiGeorge, Noonan, Muscular Dystrophy, Premature, Patent Ductus Arteriosus (PDA), Atrial Septal Defect (ASD), Small Ventricular Septal Defect (VSD), Hyperlipidermia.
Developmental & Behavioral Pediatrics
- Developmental & Behavioral Pediatrics Referral Guidelines: Attention Deficit Disorder, Hyperactivity, Inattentiveness, Developmental Delay, Autism, Asperger, Pervasive Developmental Disorder, Tic Disorders, Tourette’s, Selective Mutism, Anxiety Problem, Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Learning Disorder
- Endocrinology Referral Guidelines: Growth Disorders, Thyroid Disorders and Pubertal Disorders including, Congenital Hypothyroidism (Neonate), Congenital Hypotheyroidism (Child), Acquired Hypothyroidism, Autoimmune Thyroiditis/Hypothyroidism, Central Hypothyrodism, Acquired Hyperthyroidism, Auntoimmune Hyperthyroidism (Grave’s Disease), Neonatal Hyperthyroidism, Goiter, Thyroid Nodule, Diabetes Mellitus Type 1 & Type 2, Hyperglycemia, Impaired Glucose Tolerance, Impaired Fasting Glucose, Morbid Obesity, Acanthosis Nigricans, Short Stature, Failure to Thrive, Precocious Puberty/Premature Thelarche (Girls), Precocious Puberty (Boys), Premature Adrenarch (Girls), Premature Adrenarch (Boys), and Delayed Puberty.
- Gastroenterology Referral Guidelines: Chronic Abominal Pain, Celiac Disease, Crohn’s Disease, Diarrhea, Hematochezia, Food Allergy, Peptic Ulcer Disease, Gastro Esophageal Reflux (GER), Vomiting, Constipation, Failure to Thrive.
- Gastroenterology Fax Referral Form: Abdominal Pain, Diarrhea, Weight Loss, GI Bleed, GERD, Jaundice, Constipation, Growth Failure, Vomiting
- Hematology Referral Guidelines: Anemia, Thrombocytopenia, Neutropenia, Coagulation Defect, Recurrent Infections
- Hospitalist Preference Form
- Infectious Disease Referral Guidelines: Recurring Fevers, Recurrent Staphylococcal Infections, Latent Tuberculosis Infection
- Nephrology Referral Guidelines: Microhematuria, Gross Hematuria, Proteinuria, Acidosis, Cystic Kidneys, Hypertension
- Neurology Consultation Request Form: Non-Febrile Seizures, Intractable Epilepsy, Neuromuscular Disorders, Headaches with Neurological Findings
- Neurology Referral Guidelines: Recurrent Unprovoked Seizures (Epilepsy), Febrile Seizures, First Unprovoked Seizure, Developmental Delay, Tics, Tourette’s, Autism, Pervasive Developmental Disorder, Concussion, Headaches
- Ophthalmology Referral Guidelines: Visual Behavior / Acuity, Eyelids, Nasolacrimal System, Anterior Segment, Ocular Media. Sensorimotor System (Pupils and Ocular movements), Prematurity, Systemic Disorders, Congenital Deformities & Syndromes, and Non Accidental Injury
- Pulmonology Referral Guidelines: Infant Apnea, Child Apnea, Asthma, Brochopulmonary Dysplasia (BPD), Chronic Cough, Cystic Fibrosis, Recurrent Pheumonia, Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV)
- Rheumatology Intake Form
- Rheumatology Referral Guidelines: Arthralgias, Joint Swelling, Joint Contracture, Limp Joint, Weakness, Back Pain, Malar Rash, Proteinuria, Hematuria, Unexplained Fevers, Weight Loss, Skin Tightening, Extremity Color Changes, Iritis, Chronic Pain, Positive (+) ANA
Allergy & Immunology
Please note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
- Contracted Providers
- Professional Resources
- Referral Guidelines
- Links to Organizations and Online Communities
- CHOC Children's Specialists Adminstration
- Medicine 2.0
- Allergy and Immunology
- Clinical and Biochemical Genetics
- Critical Care
- Developmental/Behavioral Pediatrics
- Infectious Disease
- Metabolic Disorders
- Otolaryngology – Head and Neck
- Pediatric Surgery