The CHOC Children’s Specialists Psychiatry Division strives to provide the best possible care for children and adolescents with psychiatric conditions. We offer diagnostic evaluation and treatment, including psychopharmacology and psychotherapy.
The CHOC Psychiatry Division is unique in that we are part of a continuum of care delivery which includes comprehensive inpatient, intensive outpatient care, outpatient and emergency psychiatric care and consultations. Our team uses evidence-based interventions to help children, teenagers and their families overcome behavioral health issues.
We also have a Mental Health Inpatient Center that offers the very best patient- and family-centered care 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The center is exclusively dedicated to the treatment of children ages 4-17 with mental illness who are in immediate risk of hurting themselves or others. It is the only inpatient facility in Orange County that can treat patients younger than 12.
What We Treat at CHOC Children’s Specialists Psychiatry
- Bipolar disorder
- Psychiatric problems related to co-occurring medical conditions
- Autism spectrum disorder
- Difficulty coping with stressors such as a chronic illness, a life or family change, a social or school concern, and grief and loss
- Disruptive behavior disorders, including attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and oppositional defiance disorder (ODD)
- Eating disorders
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Tic disorders
Services are complemented by the multidisciplinary are provided by other pediatric subspecialists, nurses, pharmacists, psychologist, therapists, clinical dietitians and social workers.