The CHOC Specialists Neurology Specialty Division at CHOC Children’s is available for consultation 24-hours-a-day, 7 days a week and provides diagnostic services, medical treatment, and follow-up care to infants, children, and adolescents who have suspected or confirmed neurological disorders. Our pediatric neurologists manage and treat a variety of patients including those with epilepsy disorders, neuromuscular disorders and spasticity.
A pediatric neurologist has completed a residency in pediatrics and had additional training in adult and child neurology. All our pediatric neurologists have certification or are eligible for the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology (with special qualifications in child neurology). Our group also has pediatric neurologists with Board certification in Clinical Neurophysiology (Epilepsy and Neuromuscular diseases), Palliative Care, and Neurodevelopmental Disabilities.
Pediatric neurologists combine the expertise in diagnosing and treating disorders of the nervous system (brain, spinal cord, muscles, nerves) with an understanding of medical disorders in childhood and the special needs of the child and their family. In many cases, pediatric neurologists work as a team with pediatricians or other primary care doctors. In addition, pediatric neurologists may work with other pediatric specialists to care for children with more complex or serious medical issues, such as epilepsy, birth defects, or developmental delay.
CHOC Hospital Comprehensive Epilepsy Program is recognized by the NAEC as a Level 4 epilepsy center. Level 4 epilepsy centers have the professional expertise and facilities to provide the highest level medical and surgical evaluation and treatment for patients with complex epilepsy.
The following conditions may be best treated by a pediatric neurologist:
- Epilepsy and seizures — including intensive long term video EEG monitoring for epilepsy and related disorders
- Motor system disorders — including tics, Tourette’s Syndrome; neuromuscular diseases, including congenital myopathies, muscular dystrophy, hypotonia and other genetic muscular disorders; and cerebral palsy
- Headaches with neurological findings or patients who have failed first line medications
- Developmental and behavioral disorders — including learning disabilities, ADHD, developmental disorders and autism through the Thompson developmental center
- Neurogenetic and neurometabolic disorders — including neurodegenerative diseases such as mitochondrial disorders, neurofibromatosis, tuberous sclerosis, Rett’s Syndrome and Down Syndrome
- Neuroimmunological disorders — including dermatomyositis and post-infectious encephalopathy
- Neurological aspects of head injuries, brain tumors, brain malformations, and hydrocephalus
- Complications of central nervous system infection
Clinical services are complemented by the multidisciplinary care provided by other CHOC Specialists, nurses, pharmacists, EEG lab technicians, therapists, clinical dietitians, child psychologists and social workers at CHOC Children’s.
State-of-the-Art Pediatric Sleep Disorders & Neurophysiology Center
Directed by CHOC Specialists Neurologists, this center provides clinical care and electrophysiological monitoring for primary sleep disorders, including narcolepsy and sleep disorders secondary to neurological and other organ disorders. CHOC Specialists Neurology physicians also direct the Neuro-Diagnostic Center at CHOC, providing inpatient and outpatient 24-hour EEG videotelemetry.
Leading-Edge Neurodiagnostic Services
The CHOC Specialists Neurology team is fully equipped with advanced diagnostic equipment:
- Routine and 24-hour EEG videotelemetry for monitoring of status epilepticus, pseudoseizures and neonatal seizures
- Evoked potentials including intraoperative recording
- MRI and MRA
- Pediatric Intracranial Angiography
- Transcranial doppler
- Cranial ultrasound
- EMG and nerve conduction studies
- Polysomnography with or without epilepsy monitoring and intensive gastrointestinal cardiac or pulmonary evaluation
- Neuropsychological and psychological evaluation